Saturday, April 14, 2007

Selective mutism

Psychology is an interesting field, besides language. (I even thought of learning Español and Français. Haha)

Anyway, I came across this selective mutism thingy on Jas' blog recently. And Wikipedia got a quite concise(the case can be far more complicated, i think) article. Ah..you know what, I suspect I used to be selectively mute. No joking.

Based on the usual traits, I was selectively mute till Form 3 or at least Standard 6, i think. I find it hard to maintain eye contact, blank expressions(haha, I still have it till today. No, it's different.), hard to say even give greetings. I was selectively mute towards teachers, friends' parents, doctors-people who are older than me. I can chatter freely in front of my friends though. It's not that I don't want to talk, it's just that I panicked easily when someone talked to me. Weird huh?

I still remember there was this case: the teacher was conducting check because someone's pens was missing. She was in the midst of ransacking my bag when she found a photo album. Apparently, I brought it to school to share with my friends. Then she flipped through the photos while asking me question(s). I turned my head away from her and responded only by nods. You perceived that as rude, don't you? But, it's one of the characteristics of selective mutism. The worse thing was, I cried. Haha, out of no reason at all. No, I didn't steal the pens. (In case you got the idea I did=P).I was extremely withdrawn when I was young.

But then, I'm okay now. Yeah, that's a good thing albeit I don't really how did I change. It just happened. No, I still don't like social events.

Anyway, there're also good things in selectively mute people. Yet, I don't have good powers of concentration nowadays. Last time maybe yes la. Hmm...consequences of being able to speak freely.=)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite an interesting one there
I can't remember if I had that or not, but then again I think I do now
It's something like that, but then it's controllable I think, just don't fancy talking to certain people
LOL

wei liang said...

Hi zeroimpact, nice to meet you here. Actually, where did you find my blog? Do i know you in person?

Anonymous said...

I don't think we have met
Hopped along from day-dreamer I think
:)

Anonymous said...

glad you're better now!
the girl i was tutoring drove me crazy.

sorry i only read your blog once in a blue moon.
hope u still get these comments.

wei liang said...

ya..a lot of patience is needed to deal with selective mutism. i drove a lot of people to crazy including schoolmates, teachers and even my parents too. anyway, i don't see it as a weakness, but just that they need time to gain confidence.